Effective Counsel For All Paternity Issues

Establishing the parentage of a child can make a world of difference to a child, both emotionally and financially.

Not only can the child benefit from knowing the identities of both parents, he or she may gain certain entitlements, including access to child support, Social Security, inheritance rights, health insurance coverage and, if applicable, citizenship.

At The Law Office of Kevin W. Thomas, I bring more than 25 years of family law experience to my clients' paternity cases. From my office in St. Charles, I can help you establish parentage, whether you are a mother, father or a minor child.

If you need a lawyer and wish to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your circumstances, call my office at 630-485-8012.

How Do You Preserve Your Parenting Rights?

Whether you are a mother who needs her child's biological father to pay child support or a father who wants to assert his role in his child's life, it is important to establish paternity.

Establishing paternity can be contentious, but it is not necessarily difficult. It can be done through a simple court procedure once parenthood of the child is proven.

There are four methods that may be used to prove parenthood in Illinois:

  • Marriage to the primary parent
  • A signed admission of parentage
  • Legal adoption
  • Proof of biological parenthood through DNA testing

Once you have established that you are legally a child's parent, you can pursue visitation rights and influence important decisions that affect the child, including where he or she will live or go to school.

If you wish to legally establish your child's paternity, it is important not to waste time. Waiting can make it more difficult for you to succeed with your claims.

Take Action Today During A Free Consultation

I frequently help parents prove their relationships to children and guarantee the parenting rights they seek. Until your issue is fully resolved, I will work closely with you every step of the way.

To learn more about the next best steps for your situation, contact my office at 630-485-8012 or by using my online form to schedule a no-cost meeting with me.