Jump to Navigation

Effective Counsel In Paternity Cases

Establishing the parentage of a child can make a world of difference to a child, both emotionally and financially.

Not only can the child benefit from knowing the identities of both parents, he or she may gain certain entitlements, including access to child support, Social Security, inheritance rights, health insurance coverage, and if applicable, citizenship.

I am Kevin W. Thomas, a St. Charles attorney with more than 20 years of experience in representing clients in family law matters, including paternity. I can help you establish parentage, whether you are a mother, father or a minor child.

If you need a lawyer and wish to schedule a free initial consultation regarding your circumstances, call my office at 630-485-8012.

How Do You Preserve Your Parenting Rights?

Whether you are a mother who needs her child's biological father to pay child support or a father who wants to assert his role in his child's life, it is important that you establish the child's paternity.

Establishing paternity can be contentious, but is not necessarily difficult. It can be done through a simple court procedure after proving parenthood of the child, through:

  • Marriage to the primary parent
  • A signed admission of parentage
  • Legal adoption
  • Proof of biological parenthood through DNA testing

Once you have established that you are legally a child's parent, you can pursue visitation rights and influence important decisions that affect the child, including where he or she will live or go to school.

If you wish to legally establish your child's paternity, it is important not to waste time. Waiting can make it more difficult for you to succeed with your claims.

Take Action Today For A Free Consultation

Through my law office, The Law Office of Kevin W. Thomas, I frequently help parents prove their relationships to children and guarantee the parenting rights they seek.

To schedule a free initial consultation, simply call my office or complete the brief online form.

Divorce FAQ


How long will my divorce process take?


You can be divorced in as little as three weeks if there are no children involved and everything has been agreed upon by the parties. If children are involved, the parents must first complete a court mandated parenting education class regarding divorce and its effects on children....


Upon graduating from the John Marshall Law School in 1994, Kevin W. Thomas began his legal career as a lawyer with the Legal Aid Bureau in Chicago assisting low income families with family law matters. He has extensive experience...

Kevin W. Thomas
Call or Fill Out Our Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

St. Charles Office
2580 Foxfield Road, Suite 101
St. Charles, IL 60174
Map and Directions


Phone: 630-485-8012
MasterCard American Express Cards DISCOVER VISA

Professional Associations and Memberships
DuPage County Bar Association Family Law Committee
Kane County Bar Association Family Law Committee
Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
Illinois Supreme Court (Licensed Attorney)