Jump to Navigation

Modifications To A Divorce Decree

A divorce order establishes custody, child support and spousal maintenance terms with which each divorced spouse must comply.

If you experience hardships or circumstances that hinder your ability to meet your obligation, you may file for a post-decree modification. Likewise, if your ex-spouse fails to adhere to the terms of the divorce settlement, you may enforce the original order in court.

Finally, if your ex-spouse attempts to modify the order against your wishes, you may argue against it.

I am Kevin W. Thomas, a St. Charles, Illinois, post-divorce modification attorney. I help clients achieve, and defend against, post-divorce modifications.

If you have questions about child custody modification or child support modification, call my office at 630-485-8012. The initial consultation is free, and evening and weekend appointments are available.

What Events Can Trigger A Need For Modification?

A change in the economic or personal conditions for either parent can trigger a modification. An out-of-state move, a significant increase or decrease in income and change in family structure are among changes that may cause the courts to revisit support orders or custody matters. While there are many circumstances that lead to post-decree litigation, the following reasons for seeking modification are most common:

  • Relocation: The custodial parent, or a party to a shared parenting plan, may move out of the state for employment, or in special cases involving abuse by one ex-spouse against the other.
  • Child custody: Relocation, incarceration and evidence of physical, emotional, sexual or substance abuse can influence child custody following a divorce.
  • Child support: A change in child support may be warranted when a parent's income or job status changes significantly, or when the child reaches adulthood.
  • Spousal support (alimony): The most common reason for a spousal support modification is a change in one party's income.
  • Contempt proceedings: Contempt proceedings may be appropriate when one of the parties in a divorce fails or refuses to comply with the divorce order.

Why It's So Important To Get A Trusted Attorney On Your Side

The success or failure of a modification request can profoundly affect the lives of the parties to a divorce, and the lives of their children. Because of this, it is important that you choose your legal representation carefully.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a lawyer. I represent only family law clients, and I use this focus for their benefit.

For a free initial consultation, call my office or contact me online.

Divorce FAQ


How long will my divorce process take?


You can be divorced in as little as three weeks if there are no children involved and everything has been agreed upon by the parties. If children are involved, the parents must first complete a court mandated parenting education class regarding divorce and its effects on children....


Upon graduating from the John Marshall Law School in 1994, Kevin W. Thomas began his legal career as a lawyer with the Legal Aid Bureau in Chicago assisting low income families with family law matters. He has extensive experience...

Kevin W. Thomas
Call or Fill Out Our Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

St. Charles Office
2580 Foxfield Road, Suite 101
St. Charles, IL 60174
Map and Directions


Phone: 630-485-8012
MasterCard American Express Cards DISCOVER VISA

Professional Associations and Memberships
DuPage County Bar Association Family Law Committee
Kane County Bar Association Family Law Committee
Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
Illinois Supreme Court (Licensed Attorney)